Wednesday, February 3, 2010

CATERING "THE PERFECT STORM" WAS A SPLASH!

The best part of being in this industry is the ability to utilize my talents. So when I am in position to be hands on and work on events like catering the press release for the Perfect Storm in Gloucester, MA  I realize once again why I chose this profession in the first place and that is having the ability to create something that is enjoyed by others is just a wonderful experience! Now, I recall on one particular day on the set, the press was invited to interview the cast and crew. It was extremely hot and we were all running around trying to pull together a multiple catering menus that featured a real  feel of New England dishes. We utilized our local markets, stores and restaurants to purhcase product and supplies.Our goal for one particualr menu was a old fashion New England clam bake. This was not an easy feet to accomplish, since we were working in very tight quarters under adverse conditions. We were in tents, using portable kitchen equipment and the only source of air conditioning was a few large fans. The main issues I faced was to ensure that we had enough product  for that day and that the food would be safe for consumption. So with limited refrigeration I decided we would purchase perishible food in increments, throughout the day. I was careful to prepare in advance a list of necessary ingredients which I knew were staples for certain dishes. So in a compact cold storage unit we kept stocks and bases needed to create soups and sauces. The real conceren after we addressed refrigeration was to ensure that we had enough product to cover the estimated volumes needed to feed the amount of people expected  through out that day. In addition to covering the events, we needed to have enough product for tailored menus for the cast. Which meant that we needed to adjust some of our recipes to anticipate the weather conditions for cooking and prep work done ahead of time. Now of that wasn't enough we were expected to create food scuplutres and props! Yet, through out all of the challenges we had to face I truly enjoyed this experience and  I was fortunate to work with a great crew. We did a terrific job and we received positive feedback. Also, I was able to meet famous celebrities like George Clooney and Jessica Lang. Yet, my greatest fans were the press and crew who were extremely thankful just for feeding them that day! I learned a great deal from that particular event. First, the importance of adapting to an ever changing venue and secoundly, to always maintain your composure under pressure. Finally, and more importantly, always work as a team player and you will triumph towards a common goal!

Stay tuned for my next article on how to execute a catering event on a budget without sacrificing the quality. Check out my website www.bostonfooddesign.com

Signing off for now,

Chef Sam