Wednesday, January 27, 2010

TIME MANAGEMENT IS EVERYTHING AND THE CLOCK GOES GO TICK,TOCK,TICK,TOCK

You may have heard that old phrase "timing is everything" but without proper time management in volume cooking the quality can be compromised. I would say a rule of thumb would be, when executing on most volume recipes ( I said most and I will explain further later on ), prep work should be completed as earlier as possible.  This can save you valuable time, especially if you preparing more than just recipe for you meal. Recently I did a Luau for the students at Northeastern University and we fed over three thousand students. Some of the dishes consisted of salmon, pork, chicken, Hawaiian pasta salad, Hawaiian potato salad, and ambrosia to name a few. It required my staff to ensure that the all prep work (dicing  saute'ing , etc.) was done one a day ahead of the scheduled event. However, as I mentioned earlier, not all recipes need early preparation. Now take the ambrosia, this dish should only really be prepared when it is ready to be served. Otherwise, you will have the fruit juices extract into the whipped topping.
Spring is just around the corner, so come back and read my next blog. It's all about volume cooking and catering to the masses! 
Finally, please check out my website www.bostonfooddesign.com .

1 comment:

  1. That's what my husband keeps telling me - "timing is everything" even with our small family dinners of 4. He's the chef in our family - I try. I'll bet your ambrosia is delicious!

    ReplyDelete