Tuesday, June 1, 2010

NEWBURYPORT `STREET FOOD VENDORS


We went this Saturday to Newburyport for the "spring fest". Well, to our surprise it was packed with cars and more importantly, lots of people. So what were we thinking? I guess, we thought it was just like any other ordinary Saturday. I guess, it never entered our mind that it was Memorial weekend. I guess, we didn't  notice the weather that day was perfect. I guess, it really didn't matter, so long as we were together enjoying the day in Newburyport
Even though, it was crowded there still was a feeling of simplicity and beauty as we walked along the wharf and  the commons. Today, there were many clusters of Street Vendors from Legal Seafood to even Comcast. They were serving up fried clams, sausages and peppers, clam chowder in big bread bowls. There was even a food demonstrator, frantically handing out samples of " Kennel Corn". Also, lining up and down the side streets were vendors selling handmade jewelry, clothing and photography . As we strolled along a few passer byres  stopped us to inquire about our dog," what breed is he "? One commnet that really grabs Clip's attention , is "oh how cute"! He'll just sit still, look up and wag his tail, such a ham!  Now there was one woman in particular, who went as far as going to a doggi vending machine to purchase a cookie for our dog! Of course, our Clip always the gracious pup, begged for more and then gave her his paw. He's a real character,! Yet, throughout all of this, I realized that so many people stopped and chatted with us! And as we strolled further down the side streets, we peeked into the various store fronts like "Gourmet Dog Foods". Earlier in the month we purchased Clippers ' birthday cake and met the owner, Julie Hoover. The store has a variety of home made dog food items, which are baked right on the premise and they are gluten free and organic too ! Finally, we could not pass up Richdales, in my opinion is Newburyport's finest variety store. There you can purchase hot dogs for just 25 cents and yes, you heard it first from me, it's worth it. I bought six all for a whopping $1.50, now that's a deal! Finally, as we headed back down to the plaza, we heard music and people singing. There in the middle if the square I saw a live band and they were playing a  true classic and one of my favorites a Beatles' song,  "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band ". My son turned and commented to me "wow dad, that song is old, but at least it's the Beatles". I smiled and thought to myself "well at least he knows their music". Then we sat on a bench and I felt so relaxed, it turned out to be such a great day! I observed the many families, mothers, fathers, children, young and old laughing and conversing with one another. It brought back memories of my childhood in Italy. I remember sitting in a piazza in Grotto, with my family, eating  fresh cold cut sandwiches wrapped in wax paper, while listening to a fellow pizano, strumming his mandolin! I thought to myself  " doing this, is what makes life worth living"! Just by spending some time with your family, laughing, joking, eating and mingling with people. We made wonderful memories that day and so as we say in Italian,"la dolce vita" and I couldn't agree more, life is sweet!


Best Regards,


Chef Sam BFD

Happy Memorial Day !

Let's not forget the many men and women who serve and protect our Country every day ! 

My next blog will be on keeping your recipes & menus fresh & interesting!

No comments:

Post a Comment