Sunday, March 7, 2010

SO YOU THINK YOU CREATED A UNIQUE RECEIPE?

 

A unique recipe is one that separates itself from the rest by marrying ingredients that you normally would not think would work together. For example, I created a recipe using pulled pork and sushi rice. You would be amazed on how well the tender pork compliments it's sour dense counterpart, it created a very distinct flavor. Again, please check out my site for this dish and many others www.bostonfooddesign.com.
Now last week I served a select group of students at the university for a special function called "Taste Your Palette". We turned our dining hall into a mini gourmet restaurant and I put on a demonstration for the students. I created an Italian menu which consisted of my own special take on some favorite Italian recipes. I added my spin to one of my appetizers, Arrancinis which were sweet and had almost a nutty creamy texture. My main entree Chicken Saltimbocca had a pungent and earthy flavor by adding a few additional ingredients like red pepper. Then I finished the meal with an all time favorite item, Cannolis.  I made them from scratch and offered two  unique fillings one that offered chocolate chip and the other pistachio. The students participated assembling their desert and they had a blast! Later on, there was a Q&A and I was pleased to hear that they wanted more of these demonstrations. Finally, for those students who were there that day I want to give you a personal thank you from Chef Sam! 
On occasion, I will put together an array of ingredients together and then test them out in our kitchen in the hopes of creating a new recipe. I have been able to come up some very interesting food combinations by using the exact blend of flavors that burst with flavor and better yet, subtly enhance the taste buds! You need to be willing and more importantly, to be daring. Challenge yourself to combine various ingredients and measurements to come away with your very own version. I will say this time and time again, think of yourself as the scientist and pretend your kitchen is a laboratory and who knows, maybe you will create something new?

I am amazed when I am in the testing kitchen we are always trying out various combination's to bring about the next big food item. Sometimes we hire food scientist and other times we create testing groups made up of average individuals who will try out various dishes.  There information is so crucial gathering feedback allows us to come up with the right combination to create a new recipe. Finally, if it passes a few more hurdles, the next step would be to market their product to the public. I will tell you this much, there is nothing like it when you hit a home run! Better yet, sometimes, you can knock the ball right out of the park! So take the invention of potato skins, in 1974 T.G.I. Friday's came up with an appetizer using none other than the skins of a potato! They tested and tried this new concept on the general public and it wasn't too long before these bitter scraps became the newest food craze! So today Potato Skins are still the most popular item on their menu, with nearly 4 million orders served every year. This new food item is not only delicious but it created another revenue stream for the food industry!
In closing, with a little ingenuity and creativity T.G.I. Friday came up with a scrumptious appetizer packed with a ton of taste and found a way to eliminate all of their waste! How great is that ? No wonder why this is my favorite food!

FYI: I will be adding my very own potato appetizer and it will be coming out very soon!

My next blog will be on ratios to remember when planning to cook in large numbers.

Signing off for now. and "Grazia mille" ( thanks a lot) for stopping by my site !

Chef Sam

PS: Follow me on Twitter under ChefSamBFD!!






No comments:

Post a Comment